Living green isn't always easy, and sometimes it is hard to know how you, as one person or one family, can do your part. Here are ten easy ways to live green that will make you healthier and save you money, too!
1. Turn off the lights when you leave a room for more than a minute or two. It takes a mere moment, but over time it can significantly reduce your overall power consumption. It will also save you money on your electricity bill!
2. Most computers and electronic devices have a “power saver” setting that turns off the monitor or hard drives after a customizable amount of time. Setting these lower than their defaults will ensure that you only use power when necessary. It will make your hard drives and monitors last longer, too.
3. Grow a plant in your apartment home, and enjoy the fresh scent. Throw away those expensive and environmentally-harmful scent masking machines.
4. Take note of how much water you use each day, and think of ways to reduce your usage.
5. Your apartment home is nearby many shops and tourist sites; try walking instead of driving.
6. Don't turn your heat or A/C on all the time in the winter or summer. Instead, open a window or dress warmly.
7. A lot of food comes highly packaged, which wastes resources best used elsewhere. Look for bulk goods in the grocery store to reduce packaging waste.
8. Buy food from local farmers or producers; it will taste fresh and prevent pollution from the transportation and shipping of food.
9. Check your local regulations for recycling times and types of materials. Every little bit helps!
10. Last but not least, think! Consider your daily routine and think of new ways to live green.