CHR's wellness team, Creating Healthy Results, compiled a great list of tips to help their employees eat better back in January. Now that it's the beginning of March and the first official day of Spring is right around the corner, we thought we'd share their work to help get everyone back into eating healthy habits after the winter hibernation. As always, please check with your doctor before beginning any new diet plan.
Tips for Eating Healthy:
- Eat your favorite fruit and vegetables -- apples, berries, or carrots, for instance -- for snacks.
- Replace unnecessary sugar and salt with healthy spices such as curries, chilies, and cinnamon.
- Eat less through portion control. Commit to eating just one serving on a plate. Cut your portion sizes of meat in half, and double the portion sizes of your vegetables. WebMD has a great portion control guide that you can print easily.
- Cut down on eating foods that are already prepared. Pushing yourself to prepare the food makes you think about the ingredients you are adding.
- Keep a log of what you are eating thought out the day.
- Drink at least 8 cups of water.
- Plan your meals while making a grocery list, it saves time and reduces impulse buying!
- Stock up on healthy pantry items like beans, whole grain pastas, rolled oats, and canned tomatoes.
- Stop drinking unhealthy sodas -- diet or not -- and replace them with free tap water. Add lemon or lime for flavor.