Last night was CHR's annual 5K Wellness Walk. An awesome tradition and a good way to connect with coworkers and enjoy, albeit very warm, outside! In honor of the Wellness Walk, here are a few tips for you to incorporate into your day-to-day lifestyle. As always, consult your doctor before taking on any new exercise routine.
1. When you go out to get the mail, instead of stopping at the mailbox, take a brisk walk for 2 minutes in any direction and then 2 minutes back.
2. Always take the stairs. Whether you're at the mall or at a T station, opt to take the stairs instead of the escalator. Chances are you'll get where you need to go faster than everyone else taking the escalator.
3. Do calf raises while waiting in line. Simply lift up on your toes and lower your heels back down. Repeat!
4. Work your abs when you're sitting. You can even do this when you're driving. Engage your ab muscles and hold. For more of a challenge, breathe out in short fast breathes while your muscles are contracted. Do 10 breathes. Relax, catch your breath, and repeat.
5. Stand! If your computer is running slow, instead of staring at your screen, stand up. The act of standing and then sitting will burn calories.